Saturday 7 January 2012

People really shouldn't clap after movies.

It just doesn't make sense to me. Why clap? Who are you clapping to? The director? He's not in the room so no. Plus, if he was you wouldn't be in jeans and there'd be a pretty high chance the clapping was directed at a movie you had an acting part in. 

Now for the first time in my life I didn't feel that way. I just came back home from a family movies night out. We went to go see The Help. This movie was absolutely amazing. There's a perfect balance of seriousness and humor and at the end I was delighted to find people were clapping when the credits started rolling - the opposite of my usual reaction to cinema-clappers.

The 146 minute movie tells the story of an ambitious writer in a small southern town in the 1960s. Unlike everybody else she wants to get the other side of the story: The side of the African-American maids. To get this story published in a novel she needs the help, the African-American maids, to help her.

Although most of the plot events made me rather embarrassed of the humans alive on this planet before I was, it also truly made me realize one person does have the power to make a difference. I have no idea what exactly, but the two hours in that cinema just did something to me. It's a strange feeling. One I haven't experienced very often, if ever, before in my life.

Two last things before I make my way to my bed:
1. Emma Stone is deserves a place in my top three favorite actresses and 2. Someday I will say: "Get your raggedy ass of my porch!" - Just because it sounds so 1960s badass.

No comments: