Friday 6 January 2012

M HKA's most noteworthy features: THE GIFTSHOP

Noooo, MHKA does not stand for any of these things, (I'm not really really not a fan of purebred dog shows... Or any dog show. Dogs in general, to be honest, but that's a different story.) Instead it's the Museum Hedendaagse  Kunst in Antwerpen. That probably says even less to you than the Mid-Hudson Kennel Association but I'm about to change that. The collection I saw was 'A Rua', and it supposedly portrayed Rio de Janeiro. Well, that used to seem like a pretty interesting place to go but after that 'art' collection I think I've seen enough.

The place I wouldn't mind visiting...
So, on one of our many, lovely (..tell me sarcasm works over the internet) family outings we went to this museum in the not-so-heart of Antwerp, Belgium, just a couple days ago. From the outside, all I could bring myself to think was where the fuck did he take us this time. (Think along the lines of a deserted, flooded (and as a result of that muddy) street in the pouring rain with one window-less building and nobody to be seen.) And when we walked in, that feeling really didn't disappear. Usually museums, especially contemporary art ones (Hedendaagse = Contemporary, Kunst = art... Welcome to the Dutch lingo) are places I really enjoy visiting but then again, usually they're not in the middle of nowhere, not completely empty until you get to the fourth floor, and not mainly photographs of violence and videos with waaay too much blood for my liking. (Massaker! an 11-minute movie made in 1997, all the way on the top floor in its own separate room.. The name says it all.)

Needless to say, overall this was not a success. There was one reason I'm happy I went though: The giftshop. Now I've had some pretty random collections over the years. Name, for example, my 350+ cork collection (which my mother 'lost' during one of our moves). In the giftshop they had the coolest, most original set of postcards I've ever seen and so another collection of mine has officially been born: My postcard collection - So far my favorites are:

Clean A4 (2005) - Anu Tuominen 
Tableau de chasse 1 (2001) - Pascal Bernier
I guess what I'm really trying to say is that, until there is a new collection which opens or something, do not bother going to the M HKA - unless you're desperately looking for some original postcards.

What's the funniest/cutest/prettiest/yougettheidea postcard YOU ever saw? Leave a comment! 

No comments: